Supreme Court Blog

 

E-mail me at
scotus -at- justice dot com

Supreme Court of the United States

Findlaw's Supreme Court Center

How Appealing

Sam Heldman

SCOTUSblog

Site Meter



Wednesday, October 15, 2003
Not behind quite yet


This is pretty bad: We’re only in the second week of oral arguments and I’m already posting my predictions only minutes before oral argument is scheduled to start.


No. 02-473 U.S. v. Banks

Full disclosure: I did some work on this case while I was at Goldstein & Howe. In this case, police knocked on Banks’s apartment door, waited 15-20 seconds, then burst in to execute a search warrant. Banks was just getting out of the shower. The question is whether the Ninth Circuit was correct to find that the entry violated the Fourth Amendment. Although I still think this didn’t really deserve cert, now that it’s here, I predict the Court will REVERSE.


No. 02-6683 Castro v. U.S.

This case raises the following question:

    When a U.S. District Court re-characterizes a pro-se federal prisoner's first post conviction motion as a habeas petition under 28 U.S.C. § 2255, does such re-characterization make the prisoner's subsequent attempt to file a § 2255 petition a "second or successive petition" within the purview of the Antiterrorism and Effective Death Penalty Act (AEDPA)?


Without doing too much thinking on this, I suspect the Court will AFFIRM the 11th Circuit, which held that the District Court’s characterization is controlling.