Supreme Court Blog

 

E-mail me at
scotus -at- justice dot com

Supreme Court of the United States

Findlaw's Supreme Court Center

How Appealing

Sam Heldman

SCOTUSblog

Site Meter



Tuesday, December 17, 2002
I filed my first Supreme Court brief last night


That is, at about 10:30 last night, I got out of the car and approached
the guard booth at the Supreme Court, where, after a bit of interrogation,
they allowed me to affix a "Received" sticker to three copies of a reply
brief
in Clay v. United States
that I had helped prepare (mostly by cite checking and preparing part of the
table of authorities). The guards then allowed me to place these 70 pages
or so into a human-sized clear plastic bag--they did not let me slip it
in sideways so that it would be like a laminated covering, instead, they
opened it up like a trash bag and had me toss it in, so it sat flat at
the bottom of this huge bag--which they then sealed up as if the brief
were toxic. The bag was destined for some serious irradiation, I'm sure.


In this way I "filed" a brief in the Supreme Court.


Did I mention that I love my new job?